We all probably love our iPads but one of the things that we wish we could do on the iPad that is so straight forward on a desktop or laptop computer is use two applications at the same time without having to switch between them. In other words, we wish we could have two apps open on the screen at the same time.
Well, since iPadOS we can, and here is a simple guide to how to do it.
- Open app 2. The first thing you need to do is momentarily open the second of your two apps. The reason for this is that by opening the app, even for a short time, it will appear on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen, and that will be important in a later step
- Open app 1. Open the first app that you want to have open
- Slowly swipe up from the bottom of the screen and the bottom menu bar should appear
- Press and hold down on the second app on the menu bar and drag it onto the main screen. When you release it, it will appear over the top of your main app.
Of course, this might not quite be what you are looking for as you now have your main app taking up the whole screen with a smaller app sat over the top of it. However, you can now turn this into a true split-screen experience by doing the following:
- Press and hold down on the little grey bar at the top of the second app. This will enable you to drag the app around the screen
- Slowly drag it off to the side of the screen until both apps turn grey
- Release the app at this point and both apps will now occupy their own space on the screen.